69 Bankhead (Ghost Site)

Great Crowns of Stone reference number - 10 Page 303 (PDF)
Canmore reference number - 17663
Parking Spot - What3Words ///screening.siesta.rewriting or digital coordinates 57.327391 -2.775654
Site location - What3Words ///half.sigh.detective or digital coordinates 57.329169, -2.777403
Route from Parking Spot to Site - OS Maps
Distance from Parking Spot to site 250m
Terrain - Along farm track.
Date first visited site 16th July 2022

I did knock at the farm house a couple of times to make my presence known but there was no answer. I looked around the stones and took some pictures when an older gentleman, who was one of the family that manage the farm, approached me and so I explained myself. He was very friendly and we got talking about the large well dressed recumbent, I mentioned that one of the books I use (Great Crowns of Stone) said that this large stone was part of the stone circle that was originally in the next field at which point he pointed to the top of the field which was where I was about to wave my hand in that general direction. Then I mentioned that the large long stone had been larger at one point and had been moved from the circle when it was cleared around 1866 to become part of the field's stone dyke and then moved from the dyke to beside the pond where it is now. There was a smile on this gentleman's face and a glint in his eyes, he said that's right and told me that he helped move it from the dyke in 1973 to where it sits now. My jaw must of hung open for a while, the chap made his excuses as he needed to go and tell his son's how they weren't doing a task correctly and shook my hand and was off. This is technically one of the three destroyed sites or ghost sites listed in GCoS as the original circle location had been cleared 150 years ago.